Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Asking for Help

I have acquired a certain number of local contacts in the region through my activities in the community. I have organized a drumming circle and a singing group and have made friends here and there as well. I sent out an email yesterday. Here is the text of the email. And the brochure... well, it is comprised of the text that I've already posted here.

And I sent this email out yesterday afternoon and by yesterday evening, I had my first client. This kind of thing works best through word of mouth, so one satisfied client is worth a lot.


Dear friends and family,

I am beginning a new phase of my career as an educator. I do not know how this will unfold, but I feel very enthusiastic and joyful about doing this work now. 

I attach a brochure which, in both official languages, explains what I am doing. The website referenced in the brochure goes a lot further, with a youtube video interview explaining in detail what this is all about and a lot of text giving background and current information about the project. 

Please help me to get the word out to people with school aged children in their care. I am anticipating working with both elementary and secondary school students, as well as homeschooled children.

I will be working with children one to one at the beginning of this project (for at least the first 6 to 10 months). I will offer individualized tutorials in Sutton village at the Sunshine Center. If there is enough interest and demand, I will find a larger space of my own in the village. 

Each of you knows people in the region whom I do not know. Please pass this on to them. For children who 'hate' school, or do poorly in school or are thinking about dropping out of school, or who are so bright that they are bored silly in school, this program, this new way of thinking about learning and teaching themselves, might just change their lives for the better in a pretty dramatic way.

I believe whole-heartedly in this approach. I based my Master's Thesis in Educational Technology on the creation of an alternative way of educating children and I think that this is it. This project brings it from theory into practice. That is why I am so enthusiastic about this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email, to read the attached brochure, and to forward this email to those who you think might benefit from it. 

Sincerely,

Lu 

No comments:

Post a Comment