Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Joy of Connecting

On Saturday, I met with a parent and her young son.

We discussed the child's experiences in school and the potential benefits to the child of an alternative educational setting. We discussed home schooling and some of the different ways of looking at how children learn.

There is a whole world of learning that children are actually constantly engaged with. As educators and parents, we can help children to see the learning inherent in all of the different activities in which they engage and the various experiences that they encounter as they explore the world.

The word 'educate' in its root form means to bring forth or draw out. As educators, we help children to bring forth the new understandings, insights and realizations that they create for themselves as they live their lives.

The conversation that I enjoyed on Saturday ended with both the mother and me feeling some excitement about the possibility of creating a Center for Independent Learning in Sutton. I was absolutely thrilled to find an ally in this project. She knows other parents in the area and one family that is home schooling their children. I do not have these connections except through her and so above and beyond the sharing of a passion and an interest in this project, she brings valuable information to the table.

This part of the process is essential. It cannot be missed and it cannot be rushed. The creation of a learning center or alternative school for local children depends on the support of local parents.

I met this woman because she was referred to me by another woman whom I had spoken to about this project and about teaching children how to learn. I met that woman because she is a neighbour and graciously invited me to her home. The point here is that every contact is potentially a great contact. Every single community contact that you can make, you should make.

This isn't so easy for me, as I am not a night person, nor much for socializing. I work from home and don't have much contact with local folk. When a neighbour issues an invitation, or I hear word of a person who has knowledge of local home schooling families, I make a point of following up on the connection because the group of people who will help me to create this learning center is built up slowly but surely from just these local contacts.

I so enjoyed meeting this lovely and enthusiastic parent last Saturday! I am thrilled with this development. This is another step on the way to the creation of a viable Center for Independent Learning, and it feels great to 'talk shop' about what I am so passionate about with someone who seems to share my enthusiasm.

Now, we will see if we can generate a little bit more interest. Perhaps, if we can gather three or four other parents to a meeting about this, I can tell them a bit about my vision of what can be done for the children who do not thrive in a traditional classroom setting.

In the interim, I have been inspired to create a model of how the typical day might be in the Learning Center. I'll share that with you next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment